School Kids: Love Their Enthusiasm!

I'm back in the West Coast! Currently sitting inside the West Lake Center downtown Seattle. Spending a couple of nights in Seattle with my bestie -read: my love.

Yep..I still have a couple of things about the Indonesia trip that I wanted to write about on the last few days of my stay. It's best to sum 'em up now before they lapse in time. Right from Semarang, I was headed to my hometown Cilacap. This is the place where I spent the first 17 years of my life. Small town, not much excitement going on, and truly.. you can have tons of reasons to get bored with it. But hey this is my town, I do have hundreds of reasons to go back there.

While in Cilacap, my parents and I made a day trip to my granny's village. The trip took about three hours. It's a small place near the border of Central and West Javas, Indonesia. This time was special cuz my aunt requested me to teach her students at a primary school near by. And so I did. I must say that I loved meeting them and speaking to the class. At first, they seemed like typical Indonesian school kids.. timid, passive,..almost scared -hahaha, I am pretty confident though, that I'm far from being scary. Hmm okay.. I guess a better way to phrase it would be that they were nervous to speak up. Well, if I were in their shoe I would be too. I would be like.. who the hell is this person speaking in 'sha la sha la' language to my class..?! The story behind this sha la sha la thing was.. I was told once by my Korean teacher that the Koreans refer to the sound of sha la sha la when indicating the English-speaking people. I thought it was pretty funny. I know some people here in America refer to their language to sound something like 'chang ching chong'. Even funnier.

Stayed in the class for one hour and a half. The ice broke after the first 30 minutes. The kids scrambled to raise their hands and got to the front of the class to answer questions. I think their favorite part was getting free stuff (note books, drawing books, pencils, candies) and singing a new song -I taught them the first verse and chorus of Hey Soul Sister from Train. Their enthusiasm got very amusing. I love kids, their innocence humbles me. It is something I and any other grown-ups sadly no longer have.

Thought you'd enjoy a few pics of the class at my aunt's school. I'm gladly sharing them with you here!

I don't think the kid with a middle finger knows what he's doing :D

Comments

  1. whoa... mba ini pas pulang terakhir kemaren ya?
    waaaa ak ga tau ad cerita ini ehheheh
    ngajar anak2 MI
    almamaterku hahay
    :D

    Nit

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts