Semarang: Delish Goat Fried Rice & Hang-Out with A Little Nephew!

So long Surabaya, on to Semarang!

Flew Garuda straight to Semarang on Monday 05/11. I was glad I got to meet all the lovely people in Surabaya.. my relatives and friends -Thanks to Wina, Dhina, Popy & Surya for making time to hang with me despite time crunch!

Semarang city view taken from the rooftop pool at Star
I got picked up by my friend Dyah at Semarang airport then got dropped off at the hotel. Picked Star Apartment, located in the same building as Star hotel ex-Best Western on Jl. MT Haryono #972. A couple of reasons why I picked Star were its rooftop swimming pool and location. Woops, it is right next to a mall, not the best mall in Semarang but that's no biggie. Just in case I had a craving for bubble tea I knew I didn't have to take a cab and made a 10-15 minute trip to get one.

Delish goat fried rice!
Had my first dinner at Basilia Cafe & Dine with my sister's family. Sooo excited that I got to hang with my little nephew Azzam. He's such a cheeky little fella! At first, he was kinda shy.. as evidenced by not talking to me at all. After about an hour or so, he started talking to me -wooot hoooot, quite a progress in just an hour!

Me & The Cheeky Bugger :D
The next day, I stopped by my sister's house to do my laundry and pick up my nephew. He loved riding a train at the mall so off to Paragon Mall we went! The nanny, of course, had to tag along since he showed a reluctance of going out with a stranger (me). He kept saying that he was going to the mall riding tut-tut (a phrase he used for train) with 'daddy', and I told him that his dad's still at work so we'll take a taxi.

Little Azzam looked like he was enjoying his time riding the tut tut. I didn't miss the chance to grab roasted bubble tea at Calais while at Paragon, then we spent the next hour at J-CO eating donuts. Had to keep the bubble tea away from Azzam since he's not allowed to drink sugar-added beverages yet. Good call, Sissy.. you woudn't wanna feed your kid sugary stuff at young age, I salute you on you building a good eating habit on day 1!
Me, little nephew & his nanny

I made use of my second night hunting for local culinary with Dyah. She gracefully drove us around to find some nasi goreng Kambing (goat fried rice), which is considered a local delicacy. We ended up on Jl. Hasanudin, savoring Nasi Goreng Padang at Waroeng Bangjo. One portion of goat fried rice garnished with egg was priced at 15,000 IDR. The taste? Delectable! I had to bring another portion back to hotel. Yeah, it's that good! I am salivating now just thinking about eating it :)
View from my room at Kesambi Hijau
Switched hotel for the second night to Kesambi Hijau Hotel on Jl. Kesambi due to a long-standing intention of wanting to check out the joint. The original building of the hotel was the residence of my father and his family back in the 1960's. Unfortunately, the building's total renovation came to its completion in September 2014. My parents, however, were lucky enough to visit the site prior to then.

The last photo depicts what I did on my last day in Semarang. I went to Simpang Lima straight from Larissa Aesthetic Center, where I had a facial and hair spa (both took me two hours total).


I started the afternoon eating Pak Kawit's mie ayam ceker to satisfy my mie ayam fix. It was right next to the Citraland Mall. Hit the mall right after, continuing my foodie journey by sipping hazelnut milk tea at Chatime. I also spent about an hour batik shopping at Batik Keris inside the mall. Fun time indeed. Can hardly wait to go back to Semarang!






Comments

Popular Posts