A Lovely Grilled Rice Plate... Guess Where??

Surabaya was on the list after Bali. Family & friends were the reason of this short stop. I tried to make the most of it by making a list of things I wanted to do.

Grilled rice upon serving
First off, Nasi Bakar Bu Rudy! It literally translates to Mrs. Rudy's Grilled Rice. Trust me, you won't go there for the ambiance, it's purely about the food! One portion of chicken grilled rice was priced at 20,000 IDR, which is less than $2.

The place was very crowded; and I was lucky enough that they hadn't run out of food as my friend Wina and I were there rather late at 2 PM. Lunch crowd should have been gone by then but one could only wish so.  Well, glad to see that the place was making money!

Chicken grilled rice after leaf's peeled

Mie Bakso at aunt's house
Other than chicken grilled rice, Mrs. Rudy also has shrimp and squid grilled rice. Her place is also very famous for her sambal (chili sauce). Had to get a couple to bring home to the States. If you happen to visit Surabaya, which is a second largest city in Indonesia after Jakarta, stop by at Depot Bu Rudy on Dharmahusada St #140. Rest assured, you won't regret it and leave the place wanting more.

After going to Bu Rudy, I spared time going to relatives' place. Whoops, I got to meet my little cousins. My uncle has 4 kids, 3 girls and 1 boy. I was so looking forward to taking them out to dinner, especially the older ones. The little ones were only 5 and 7 years old, so it's for the better that they stayed at home as they'd probably start yawning after 8 PM.

My aunt, as usual, properly served me like a guest. I told her not to bother since I was going out to dinner, but she insisted. Ended up savoring meatballs in soup aka mie bakso before dinner that night. Thanks, Auntie!

Cousins enjoying steak dinner at Bon Cafe


Midtown's breakfast area
Off we went to dinner. My cousins picked Le Cafe Gourmand, which happens to be next to Bon Cafe. Turns out Cafe Le Gourmand was more like a dessert hang-out place, so we moved to Bon Cafe. The ambiance was very nice and the place has a more extensive dinner menu. Perfecto!

I picked Midtown Hotel on Basuki Rahmat St for the one night stay in Surabaya. Lovely and centrally located downtown. And particularly, I love the fact it''s so close to Tunjungan Plaza Mall -one of the biggest & older malls in Surabaya.

Room was not big yet of a fair size. Breakfast was buffet-style with a great deal of choices, both local and continental items. A friend of mine accompanied me there, which was very nice of her. One of the perks of having good friends, isn't it?!

Midtown Hotel -a friend in the pic
Didn't do much the next day. But I was pretty satisfied that I was able to go to Tunjungan Plaza Mall to fix a handbag and grabbed a refreshing roasted Chatime milk tea.

After battling with traffic for nearly an hour, the taxicab driver drop me off on time at the Juanda airport for my flight that afternoon to Semarang. Short but sweet, isn't it Surabaya! I promise I'll be back!
















Comments

Popular Posts