Another Sunny Downtown Day

Day off 2 out of 3! I typically spend either day 1 or 2 doing chores at home but looked like this just was not bound to happen. Here we are again in Downtown Portland. Not that hubby and I planned to spend today like we did yesterday, but I accidentally left my phone sleeve at the bubble tea shop near Portland State University downtown. Called the place and the Taiwanese owner said they had it. Lucky me. This case was a gift from a Thai student that we hosted and I definitely wouldn't want to lose it.


We grabbed a bite at one of the food carts on Alder St. I've been meaning to get some chicken satay from this Satay Indonesia food cart but unfortunately they're closed today. According to yelp, the owner, who is also the chef, was born and lived in Indonesia for at least 20 years. I would not have thought so, considering he is Caucasian. So yep, what a bummer that I didn't get to have satay for lunch today. Their queue yesterday was rather big so I just gave up. I ended up eating Thai basil fried rice at E-San yesterday, which turned out to be a bit dry. Have to learn to be more patient with queues next time.


Today's lunch: Aybla's Chicken Mediterranean Plate, served with Tzatziki sauce.
The one thing that you''ll find quite fascinating about Portland would be their ethnic food carts that have been mushrooming for as long as I can remember -that would be back in 2008 when I moved to the area. You'll find a wide variety of food scattered in certain areas downtown; from Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Fiji, Moroccan, Mediterranean, German, Hawaiian, Egyptian, Mexican, to the likes that Americans eat at home such as Mac n Cheese, burgers and fries. Two of the main food cart are Alder and Oak St. I prefer the earlier one for there is a park close by. I like getting my grub and walk to the park to devour it, especially on a nice bright sunny day like today.

The grub of the day has got to be Chicken Mediterranean Plate from this place called Aybla. Not the best one I've had but it's pretty decent and tasted as I expected.


Pearl milk tea & mango milk tea
My afternoon is now being wrapped up in a cup of super refreshing Taiwanese pearl milk tea. One afternoon last Summer I took my parents here after lunch. They liked the place, and the free wifi. My dad had some mocha drink, while my mom just had a pastry. 

Me? I was content with the status quo so you know what I had.

I promise that I'll take you to this cafe if you come out to Portland -just make sure that you mention this post. Deal?






Comments

Popular Posts