Koh Rong, I don't Miss you

This is one of the places I don't think I consider going back, even if someone offers me a free trip there. Not that I don't appreciate the beautiful beaches surrounding this island, but we happened to stay at a place where I could totally picture myself being terrorized by its owner. For the fear of being chased down, am so not gonna mention any names here.

He was always seen hanging around the lobby area during the day (and night.. Hmm so I guess all the time), and had a tendency to meddle with guests' interaction with the staff in a weird sort of way. I think it was great that he tried to be helpful, but the way he did it just turned out to be rather creepy.

So, what the heck is this island? It is called Koh Rong, located in Sangkat Koh Rong of Mittakpheap district in Sihanoukville Province about 25 kms off the coast in the Gulf of Thailand.


Beach was awesome, to tell you the truth. We took a slow boat to get to this secluded island from Sihanoukville, the closest town to Koh Rong. The boat was not the nicest but it only took us 2.5 hrs to get to the darn island, and I was just glad to see that they had quite a bit of life vests. I positioned myself near the compartment where the vests were stored in the anticipation of the boat undergoing mechanical failures, which thankfully never happened!

Koh Rong upon landing off the boat
Electricity in Koh Rong was only on during certain hours. Our lodge was the only place around that had electricity at night (6 PM - 6 AM). Lucky enough, they also had wifi.

Other than enjoying the beach, there was not much to do for me. Well, I supposed we could have hiked the area. But then recent news about the murdered American female got me petrified.

This 50 something yr old American went on a hike during the day by herself and was found dead on a trail in the Cambodian jungle of the island. It was thought that she got attacked from behind, considering the cuts found behind her head.
Our bungalow
So guess what we did in Koh Rong? Just cruising the beach during the day, eating, getting a massage, swimming, and heading back to our bungalow before dark. I was also extra vigilant while staying, by making sure we locked all doors and windows when we took a nap and went to bed. We also always kept our bungalow locked when we went out during the day.

Downtown Sihanoukville
Hotel we stayed at in Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville, by the way is a small beach town. Pretty touristy but rather dead. I mean, most people who visit the town probably won't hang around too long. I noticed that most of them stayed there briefly before headed to Koh Rong, and after returning from it. So yeah, it's kind of like a hub town.

We stayed for 3 nights in Koh Rong, and Man was it ever too long. After first night I kind of wish we had only stayed for two nights only. The only consolations were the beach view, the delicious meal at the lodge's restaurant, and our beautiful outdoor shower that kept us fresh from the Island's everyday heat + humidity.

Khmer coffee in Koh Rong 
Oh.. sorry, but I don't miss you at all Koh Rong -__-

Beautiful Koh Rong Beach










Comments

Popular Posts